Sunday, September 22, 2002

Chasing Moonbeams

Our local paper had noted that moonrise would be at 8:07 p.m. tonight, and that it might be a pretty harvest type moon. I have shot the full moon in December across the fields of MSU, so I headed to the spot where I had taken those pictures. 8:07 hit. No moon. 8:08. No moon. 8:09...oh crap. I'd forgotten to allow for the change in season, and the moon was probably coming up right behind the clump of trees directly east of me.

I jumped in the car, pulled onto Jolly, and there it was. Rising. I turned south on Sandhill and into one of the pullouts. (The sign said something about lake studies.) I took a couple of shots there, then headed back north on Sandhill.

Now I was weaving just a bit, watching the moon, and traffic was getting heavier. Remember, the MSU-Notre Dame had just finished. I decided I had better concentrate on my driving. I would have hated to have been pulled over by a zealous campus police person and had to explain that "no officer, I wasn't at a tailgate, I was just chasing moonbeams". I can hear it now. "Right, lady......"